Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Forgive me father, for I have sinned.

Today I killed a bug in anger.

It wasn't bothering me. It wasn't in my house. It wasn't even moving. But I was angry because for the 10,000th time this year I'm getting sick and I'm tired of coughing. I'm so, so tired and so I stomped it. I've been in a semi-permanent state of illness since March and yet I've still not come up with a solution to the projectile-phlegm-into-hand problem. Slurp it back into your mouth? Stuff your hand into your pocket and deal with the dry crusties later? There's no right answer.

In my defence my students call this kind of insect 'China Bug.' Dirty China Bug to be exact. I'm not sure if they mean the bug is dirty, or China, or maybe both. In any case it's inferior to Korean bugs, which I would never kill in anger.

Except for mosquitos.

No comments: