Monday, May 25, 2009

A Collection of Food.

Here is some food I've made that didn't make the cut for a whole blog post, but were still delicious and thus warrant their own little piece of internet fame. If you like, pretend I made them all on the same day for a very special dinner. Maybe a fancy dinner party? Black tie only? Maybe the one where Dan showed up straight from work wearing only business casual and everyone said 'Don't worry about it Dan, everyone's going casual these days,' but then murmured disapprovingly about it while he was in the bathroom taking prozac and trying to air out his pit stains.

Grilled Tomatoes with Feta and Oregano.....and a Hot Dog.
















The hot dog was for protein. Don't judge.

Delicious Burger.
There really isn't anything special that makes this burger delicious other than it has chips in it and it was one of the first late summer barbecues in the backyard.




























Marinated Broccoli Salad













- Broccoli, chopped up smallish.
- Red Onion, chop it up chop it up.
- Green Onion, more chop chop chop.
- Cranberries, rough chop. Cranberry you nasty.
- Nuts, I used peanuts because that's what I had in the cupboard but it would have been nicer with walnuts or almonds.
- Creamy poppyseed dressing, like the one from my spinach salad.


















The onions made me cry like a menstruating woman watching a kleenex commercial after her boyfriend dumped her and there's no chocolate in the house.

Poached Eggs & Potatoe Latkes













For the latkes I (read: sous chef Kyle) shredded up some potatoes, added an egg, salt and pepper and then friend it up in some melted butter. I read a recipe where it said to add some flour but I forgot and it still worked.

I used to be nervous about poaching eggs, the idea of just dumping an egg into a pot of water and it not just floating all away sounds preposterous to me. But then I watched a show where they said that you should give the water a little swirl around which helps the white hook up with the yolk. And don't forget vinegar in the water, I don't know why, it's just the way it works.













This one got away from me, but it looked cool and magically didn't break, so it's all good in the hood.

Broccoli Risotto













All you need to make a decent risotto is the right rice (something short and round like Arborio), butter, chicken or veggie stock, cheese and time. Add the stock slowly, stir carefully so you don't break up the rice, be liberal with the cheese and pull it off the heat while the rice is still al dante. That's it that's all.

Peach Blackberry Pie
Thea actually made this, hence the artistic rendering of a magestic cock. It was both the best tasting cock and pie I've ever had.





























Late Night Desserts (Ice Cream, Ginger Cookies & Peaches, Oh My!)













Om nom nom.

No comments: