Monday, April 6, 2009

April Showers Bring Lentil Soup.

I'm tired. And cold. It's grey outside. I forgot my umbrella. I'm working on a turd of a paper that refuses to research itself. I couldn't configure my fucking computer to the internet at school. I need a nap. And a shower. And a warm meal. I really wish I still had some Lentil Soup with Homemade Bread.

I think a lot of people are scared of the idea of making bread from scratch, but if you have the time it's really not so hard and incredibly impressive unless you're friends with one of the two people who are still doing the Atkins thing. If you are, please dump them. I dare you to name something better than fresh fresh warm bread with steam still coming off of it and butter melting all over.

This particular loaf is mostly whole wheat. I threw in some white mostly because I still feel the need to rebel against my mother. I find the dough rises real purdy if you turn the oven on to like 1 degree and throw the bowl in there with a towel overtop so it's all warm and cosy. Also, don't go jumping around or it'll fall. Or maybe that was just mom's way of getting us to stop bouncing around for an hour.
Super cute cat in the background = Pedro, my love. He has his eyes on the butter, which he will eat straight up if given the slightest chance. He gets that from me.

I can't believe it's not margarine!
Life's better with butter.

In my lentil soup I always use rosemary and several bay leaves. I like it. It works. I don't mess with it. Sometimes I blend it until it resembles turtle poop. I don't actually know what turtle poop looks like. I'm picturing green and mushy, that's what the soup looks like.

With some of the bread dough I also made cheese rolls. You just roll out a chunk of dough, throw some cheese and onions on it, roll it up and cut it just like cinnamon rolls.
Unfortunately a telemarketer called while these were in the oven and whilst I was rating my customer service experience on a scale of Very Good, Good, Fair or Poor the bottoms got burnt.
Swapsies!

Anyway I found 55 cents in the vending machine so I guess the day wasn't a total waste.

No comments: